Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hooray for Hummingbirds!


A frequent question from non-birders is "What's your favorite bird?". For a while, I found it challenging to answer. The true, but very boring, answer is: "I don't have just one.  I'm fascinated with them all".  I do have affinities for certain groups: shorebirds, hawks, gulls, parrots, bowerbirds, birds-of-paradise, and others. The "other" I harbor the most fondness for is hummingbirds.  Yes, the fact that I actually enjoy identifying gulls certifies my insanity. And now for the dream...



A small family reunion in my parents' backyard, was visited upon by a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird. He was quite animated and made several passes by the patio. Everybody was amused with his antics. I continued to exploit and appreciate my paranormal dream-ability to zoom as close up to birds as I want. I actually studied this guy's individual gorget feathers. Sweeeeeet!


Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)
Photo Copyright - drash (click to visit other galleries)


The plot thickened when another hummingbird became jealous of the attention the ruby-throated was getting. Cue dramatic music. The hummer cartoonishly feigned dying - atop the patio roof no less. Another of its species, not aware of the ruse, quickly flew to the rascal. It appeared to attempt to revive, rouse and comfort. How cool was it that I understood the motivations of the birds? I'll give myself an anthropomorphizing mulligan on this one.

This second species is not a real-world one, as best I can figure. Head and throat were charcoal gray (perhaps due to angle). Body and belly - a brilliant turquoise; with dark teal tail feathers. Velvet-purple Coronet most closely fits the bill. Gorgeous none-the-less!



Velvet-purple Coronet (Boissonneaua jardini)
Photo Copyright 2008 - David and Leah (click for other galleries)

No comments:

 

count visits
Apple iPod Touch 8GB