Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Where in the World was I last night?


Swimming with sharks, evidently. That was only the "what" of the dream. The "where" involved birds.

I started my dangerous entreprise from a small rocky island, many others sat nearby. My goal; a fairly rocky shore some two hundred feet away. I initially approached the islands from a helicopter-passenger POV, though minus the helicopter. Yep - weird.


American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)
Image online here


Scores of birds dotted the outcrops below.  I could only make out three groups:  American White Pelican, Glaucous Gull  and indeterminant Terns.  I could retire on a nickel for every time I've seen the latter in the field.



Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glauscesens)
Image online here


As best I can noodle out, this places me and the birds on the central California coast.   

The dream ended with my being in the water, swimming toward shore.  Thoughts of becoming a shark breakfast created no small amount of anxiety.  I could be wrong, but I believe I saw a dorsal fin peak through the surface in my periferal vision. 

Thank God that was just a dream.  60 degree, shark infested, waters? No thank you!

No comments:

 

count visits
Apple iPod Touch 8GB